The NDP Convention 2018 was February 16 to 18 with a Youth Convention February 15.
Willowdale sent three delegates to the convention. Delegates were selected at a general membership meeting on Dec. 12, 2017.
Here is a point-form rundown of events
- Resolution calling for boycott of goods from the Occupied Territories was ranked too low to make it to the floor.
- Resolution to re-establish diplomatic ties with Iran was ranked #7, but there was insufficient time to have it debated.
- Motion was passed calling for democratization of the resolution ranking process.
- Also passed were resolutions on Dental and Pharma care, and free tuition.
- Emergency resolution passed supporting the #MeToo Movement.
- Passed that NAFTA’s Chapter 11 should not supersede environment and labour rights.
- LEAP did not come to the floor of the Convention.
- Good speeches by Singh and Broadbent.
- This was the youngest, most diverse and largest ONDP Convention yet.
- New executive were elected; a number were Head Office or MP staffers
For more details on the convention visit the convention web site at http://ottawa2018.ndp.ca. (The site contains links to the Constitution, the Policy Book and the resolutions procedure.)